Welcome to My Blog

Thank you for reading my blog. As a technophile I am exploring how all things technical can be used to support learning. If this interests you then follow me and join me in my journey.

Monday 17 May 2010

LinkedIn: Worth or Waste

Over the past few days I have been thinking about LinkedIn and whether it can be a useful tool in an education context. Now I am sure that it can be a useful tool for those wanting to link with other professionals, but how could it be used to support my students or support learning. I have to be honest with you and say that I have been a member of LinkedIn for many months but have not yet done much with it. Now that I am exploring it once more, I am hoping that it will be like my approach to twitter and I will have that Ahha moment and discover how useful it can be.

Firstly, the most obvious use by students is to build up a network of professionals to support their future career. The earlier they start this the better as it can lead to internships, part time jobs and future jobs. Whilst they are doing this they can also see the bigger picture about what is happening within their chosen profession. They will also be able to develop the ability to portray themselves in the best and most professional light.

However, as well as the more overt learning outlined above, I believe there is also some measure of covert learning. Students will, on the whole, be used to Facebook, Twitter and MySpace, amongst others. These are mainly informal networks, which can also be used in a formal setting. LinkedIn is designed to use a much more professional and formal approach to networking. Students will learn how to use appropriate language and style of writing, and to conduct themselves in a professional manner. Students can also use their network of contacts to ask for advice as well as for introductions to others. They will also learn how to conduct business correctly in that they should not just build up a network for the sake of it, but approach contacts for a specific reason. The fact that students will be using this site in a professional manner will allow them to develop skills in professional presentation and using a professional approach.

I have enjoyed thinking about how LinkedIn could be used in an educational context. These are my initial thoughts and I would welcome comments and further ideas from anyone reading this blog. If we share information we can all learn together.

1 comment:

  1. Thankyou Wendy. A very interesting article. I have been invited to join this in the past but declined. After reading your blog, I will look into this further. It sounds exactly what I am looking for. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete