Welcome to My Blog

Thank you for reading my blog. As a technophile I am exploring how all things technical can be used to support learning. If this interests you then follow me and join me in my journey.

Wednesday 26 May 2010

More Mobile Madness - To infinity and Back

Well maybe not infinity, but as close as I can get. When I finished thinking about Mobile Computing yesterday, I had this nagging feeling that I wasn't quite finished. I was sure there was more I needed to explore. So, does mobile computing mean we are free to roam away from our desks. The Jury is still out on that one, but there are apps out there which can make this a much easier proposition. Also, let us remember we are not all work, but do have lives away from education. I am sure you are all more than on top of what apps are available socially. Even my 8 year old niece can find and download social apps. However, here are some which I believe crosses over into both

10 Smartphone Apps to Help Get You Ahead

As you will see these are aimed at the American market so us Brits will need to be cautious as to what will be useful in a British context. Another App which I have recently downloaded to my Ipod Touch is Nibipedia.This is a mashup between wikipedia and YouTube. It is an educational tool which allows you to search through a number of carefully vetted YouTube Videos. I did a quick search using, Anatomy, Paediatrics and Teaching Methods and was impressed by the speed with which it took me to appropriate videos.

Nibipedia

This is also a testimony to the usefulness of social networking and the power of twitter. This came via a tweet from @NMHS_Principal on twitter. Through Twitter and Facebook we all have access to numerous resources which we may never have heard of previously.

It is funny how a blog can start in one direction and your thoughts take you in another. My main idea when starting this post was to talk about the online resources available through an institutions library. I used Ebrary and although I did get through to some excellent books, I found it to be a bit slow at present even via wifi. Ebrary is a brilliant resource when used on a desktop but to be truly mobile will need to be a bit speedier, for me anyway. Still, it does allow you access when away from your desk and not wanting to carry a laptop or netbook around, so still a useful resource. I will certainly be using it in the future.

Skype is another useful resource which is found on most mobile phones. This allows not only for free mobile calls, but also video calls. Skype can be used for tutorials or video conferencing when circumstances dictate that you need to be in another part of the country. Most students now have smartphones, and I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has used skype on their mobiles in this way.

So, having looked at mobile computing, am I willing to throw away my netbook. Not quite yet, but who knows what will happen in the future. Does anyone feel differently?

No comments:

Post a Comment