Welcome to My Blog

Thank you for reading my blog. As a technophile I am exploring how all things technical can be used to support learning. If this interests you then follow me and join me in my journey.

Monday 19 April 2010

Perils of Technology

Short post today, but one which is particularly pertinant, as I will be discussing with my students how technology can help them learn. However, today technology let me down. Firstly my work computer was opened up after 2 weeks break, and somehow or other had a virus. My machine had to be reimaged, thus little work done this morning. I went to the tried and tested IPod touch to acccess email etc. and it would not conect to the University WiFi. Again 2 weeks ago it was working beautifully. When I logged on after the reimaging, no printer drivers, and it took the tech guys hours to fix it. All credit to the tech guys though who were brilliant and didn't stop until everything had been solved. Fourth problem, the computer would not recognise my memory sticks. What a day. Still the tech guys came up trumps and everything is ready for a fresh start tomorrow.

Moral of the story, technology is brilliant, but it can sometimes let you down. I knew that, but it happened in a particularly spectacular fashion today. I've learnt to be patient, to work around problems and to make sure you have the tech helpline number to hand at all times. So I suppose it could be argued that technology has helped me learn today. Sometimes all is not lost, and there is hidden learning in everything we do. On reflection, not such a bad day after all, just different to that which I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment